Friday, September 03, 2004

memories and the old...

Memories will only be memories...

I reformatted my computer 3 wks ago, it was infested with spyware. This was my 2nd time reformatting it this year.. Different computers have different amount of hard disk space, 20, 40, 80, 160gb. My hard disk is limited at 40gb, it can only store 40gb worth of data. Once I reformat, all the data will be gone. Similarly, memories will only be memories, they are of the past. U either back it up, store it, or delete it by reformatting it. The more u want to store ur memories, the more it will be infected with viruses. The only way of improving the performance of your comp is to reformat it, delete away all the viruses and preserve your selected data.

When u restore your old data, would you want to edit it? Or would you leave it as a read only format or achieve format or hidden format?

Interestingly, i wonder how does it feel like to lose all my photos, mp3s and data now? These files have been with me since sec1. It would be disastrous if I lose them all. It will also be very agonizing to lose 4gb worth of mp3 downloaded with 56kpbs modem over the years.

I have this set of cds which I treasure a lot cuz it was a birthday present and the songs were painstakingly downloaded with a 56kpbs modem. If I receive another set of cds of songs that were downloaded with broadband, of cuz I would treasure the previous one...

I like old Chinese songs...

These songs have great impact on my life since young. I have grew up listening to them. Who is a better singer? Jay Chou or Eric Moo? Jolin Tsai or Deng Miao Hua? Which is a better group? SHE or Xiao Hu Dui? Which is a better song? Jiu Shi Ai or Ming Tian Hui Geng Hao? Well, to those who are in their 20s and 30s would prefer the former type of songs, while those in their teens will prefer the latter types. there is simply no answer. It’s not possible to say that the past is better than the present or the present is better than the past. This comparison can’t be made, cuz the era is different, the setting and the environment are different. Both generation of songs are equally important in shaping me, my thoughts and my preference. The world will move on, present singers will fade away while new emerging singers will emerge, nothing will stay static. New genre of songs will develop, cover versions of the similar song will be produced. Some people will prefer the cover version, but the original version of the song will always belong to the original singer. Gigi Leung re-sang Theresa Teng’s 我只在乎你, although it’s quite nice, but the song will always be remembered as Theresa Teng’s one. Who will appreciate?

No comments: